March ended with our monthly workshop. There were over 40 volunteers helping us get quilts ready for our trip back east the first week in May. We will be taking over 100 quilts. Not only have we been quilting like crazy, we also had two fundraisers.
Our first fundraiser was a Bunco Tournament on April 7th with 87 players. To put this all together it takes about 20 people including Marshalls, scorekeepers to tally the scores, and kitchen help for desert. That doesn’t count the two truckloads of card tables and bunco stuff. We are usually beat after a night of bunco. If you have ever played bunco with that many players, it can be pretty noisy and exciting for those who play. You need to have ear plugs but everyone has the best time. We awarded two quilts as a surprise, one to a Gulf War Veteran and one to a Vietnam Veteran. It’s always a great night with much laughter. We always make money and enjoy watching everyone have fun.
I wish I could say we had a restful week but we started preparing for an April 14th visit from the Star Riders Motorcycle Club, coming from over two hours away, and the Delta A’s Car Club who were all coming to tour QOH. So, during the week the property was cleaned and spruced up. When you come to QOH you come the country so I decided to make pies – they usually bring us some donations. I made 13 pies during the week and worked the property. I gotta say when we got the flags up on the fences it was awesome! To see the riders come up over the hill was a beautiful site. It wasn’t long before our Model A’s came up the hill and that was also an awesome site. To know all those people drove so far to see us made us feel good.
Everyone got the “5 cent tour” of headquarters and then out came the BBQ. Then it was my turn to honor two veterans who didn’t have any idea they were receiving quilts. One was a Navy Vietnam veteran. He said thank you so much. Then came an Airforce Veteran. His wife told him quite a story to get him to our house and this is one time I liked that he had to listen to his wife. Larry was a Para-rescue during Vietnam and he still lives with the nightmares but never shares them. When I called his name, he wasn’t happy but my veteran brother, Lou, kept telling him it was okay. He was shaking when he took the quilt. My hope is that this will bring some healing to him. One of the pictures shows him hugging the quilt – that I itself is a blessing.
They loved the pies and they all had to try them. At the end, one great man gave me $100 for a pie – that was pretty awesome.
So, in all we had a great two weeks. I’m thankful to all of our volunteers who helped us pull off two fundraisers in two weeks. Now we finish preparing our 100 quilts for shipping by the 23rd, hold our QOH Workshop on the 25th, and then leave on April 28th for New York before heading to Washington DC.  It seems like we never stop but it is so rewarding to know we can honor so many.
To my QOH crew, who are my family, thank you for having my back and for always being there. Oh, I forgot Cyndy, our famous videographer, who had a drone up and will be giving us a link to YouTube. She is amazing with that camera and we are truly blessed to have her as part of  QOH.
God bless and keep quilting,